Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"All is quiet here, except when a little picket fire"

Today 'on picket': August 11, 1863

Dear Sister, I thought I would write a few lines to you as I have not much of anything to say today. The brigade is here on picket now. It will be the regiment's turn to go on post tomorrow. All is quiet here, except when a little picket fire. Father has had a letter today and, as he was not here, I took the liberty to read it. I was glad to hear from home. I think the boys are first-rate with the haying, but I think it would pay as well to hire some as it is getting late in the season. It is very warm here now. I think it is the warmest weather I have felt in my life. Father is at Washington now. I am going to send $10 in this letter and shall send some more some other time. I am going to send Ansel a song that one of the boys in the company got up. As for news, I have not got any, but I must close. So good-bye for the present. Your brother, Dimon Hamilton, l Me. Cav. Co. F."

Dimon would become a prisoner on March 1, 1864 and be held in Richmond, probably at Belle Island, in the James River. Dimon Hamilton survives the war.

By what is says in the letter, it appears that Dimon's father was attached to the 1st Maine in some way, but he is not listed on the regiments roster. But as you read, Dimon has no qualms about reading his fathers mail. As with just about all correspondence and diary entries, the soldiers comment on the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment