Thursday, April 8, 2010

If I live through Spring

Spring finally began to unfold in Culpeper County. the snow was melted and the rains began to subside. The of soldiers of the Army of the Potomac began to realize that their time of inactivity had begun to wane. They were drilling regularly; and reviews became more commonplace. Little did they know what was in store for them.

On April 7, 1864, William Hogan, a soldier in the 2nd Delaware Infantry wrote to his son. "Our scouts have crossed the Rapidan River this evening and I expect that we will soon follow them I expect to join my Regt to morrow but you may look for me home about the middle of August if I live through this Spring campaign which I hope and trust I shall."

Hogan survived the war, but became a prisoner during the Petersburg campaign. Hogan's letter can be found on Vermonthistory.org

No comments:

Post a Comment