Monday, April 25, 2011

'I received the BOX'

Today at Brandy Station: April 25, 1864

Mail was important to a soldier, a letter from a loved on or a pen pal would brighten a man's day. But, a box -- a package from home -- now that was cause for celebration.

A portion of a letter from Peter Boyer to his father (Peter)

"I sat down [illeg.] drop a few lines to inform you that I Received my BOX on the 16th all safe and I was very glad for it every thing is good and that is a very nice hankerchief that you sent to me the Box was a little Broken But there was nothing taken out I have plenty to eat now a for a while."

Peter went on to tell his father about a cavalry review that was held in Stevensburg and his unit, the 117th Pennsylvania, had their picture taken. All and all a pretty good week for Peter the younger.

The letter, in its entirety, can be found on the Valley of the Shadow website, http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/civwarlett-browsemod?id=F0119

No comments:

Post a Comment